History

Adams Earl

Adams Earl

(1819-1879)

History of Earl Park, Indiana

Earl Park is a town located in Richland township, Benton County Indiana. Founded in 1872, the community was named for Adams Earl, landowner and developer. Current population approximately 500. Elevation 798 ft.

Adams Earl and Moses Fowler were prominent Lafayette businessmen and land developers. Earl Park's neighbor, Fowler Indiana is named after Moses Fowler. The Tippecanoe County Historical Museum at 909 South Street in Lafayette is the original Fowler mansion. The Adams Earl mansion was destroyed by a fire in the 1960s. This ten acre estate was known as Fountain Grove and was located in Lafayette on Union street where Union and Salem street intersect. Currently, the Earlhurst business park.

This photo is of Adams Earl circa 1872. Read more history and see the Adams Earl Biography

The 1972 Earl Park Centennial Celebration was the first annual fall festival.

The Earl Park Fall festival Labor day weekend.

A special thank you to Cheryl Gentry for submitting her collection of Vintage Earl Park photos to this website.

edward c. sumner

Edward C. Sumner

(1811-1882)

E.C. Sumner was a noted Indiana Cattle baron. After purchasing Topeneebee's reserve in 1846, his land holdings were 36,000 acres.

His statue stands in the center of his family plot on high ground in the Earl Park cemetery. He faces to the South with a view of the prairie that extends for many miles.

An inscription reads:

"Sumner in stone, contemplates what in life he once owned."

Matilde Moisant

Matilde Moisant (left) and Harriet Quimby.

Matilde Moisant

(1878-1964)

Matilde Moisant. Pioneer aviatrix and the second woman in the USA to receive a pilot's license! Born in Earl Park 1878. Died in 1964.

Link to her biography.

town photos 1900-2000

Interior view, Public library. Date unknown.Baseball in the town park, 1908.The Jail, around 1900.Earl Park post office, 1959.J D Scott Restaurant, 1909.St. John the Baptist Catholic school.First Earl Park Public School.The second Jennie E Caldwell Memorial Home, granddaughter of Edward Sumner.The original Jennie E Caldwell Memorial Home, granddaughter of Edward Sumner.Earl Park Presbyterian church.The Earl Park Cathedral.  Built in 1900. Damaged by fire in 1994, and torn down in the year 2000.  Photo circa 2000.The Earl Park Cathedral.  Built in 1900. Damaged by fire in 1994, and torn down in the year 2000.  Photo circa 1900.The Richland Elevator.  At the West edge of town. The Caldwell home grounds are visible in the background. Photo circa 2006.The Richland Elevator.  Portions of the original structure is still standing at the West edge of town. The Caldwell home grounds are visible in the background. Photo circa 1909Looking to the West.  Notice the businesses on the left side of the tracks in the distance. None of which exist today. Photo circa 1915.Earl Park Train Depot.  Looking to the East. The depot was new when this photo was taken. Notice the employees posing for the photo. Photo circa 1907.The "Big Four " water tank.  Used by the railroad to refill the storage tanks on the steam engines.The Ice storm of 1909.  Looking East down Railroad street from the side of the current American Legion building. The Depot is in the background.Looking South. The Thiene & Wagner building. (Now the Earl Park American Legion post 455)Looking East. 5th Street, Earl Park, Indiana.Street view 1908.  Looking east. The Earl Park American Legion building is visible in the right edge of the photo.Earl Park Military Band, turn of the century.